Skip to content ↓

Advice for Children

RIGHTS RESPECTING: Article 19 - I have the right to be protected from being hurt or badly treated.

You can always talk to a trusted adult in school. This may be your class teacher, support staff or office staff.

There are posters that our School Council have created to show you who you can speak to. Every class has a 'How to stay safe' display with photographs of trusted adults and child-friendly policies. 

If you are worried and don't want to talk about your worry, you can always write something in the emotions box in your classroom or the school office. You could also ask to fill out a '3 houses' sheet with your teacher. 


  • If someone is hurting you or your friends, it is not your fault.
  • You are not alone. There are people who can help you and stop others from making you feel hurt or scared.
  • You may be frightened of the person hurting you or your friends, but there are things you can do to get help and make it better.

You should:

  • Tell someone you trust that you're being hurt or know someone who is being hurt. Your friends, teachers, parents, grandparents or other members of your family may be able to help.
  • Let people help to make things better by stopping the person from hurting you or your friends.

You shouldn't:

  • Feel embarrassed or alone.
  • Feel that it is your fault or that you are to blame for someone hurting you.
  • Keep it a secret that someone is hurting you or your friends.
  • Feel afraid — people are there to help you. 

What can you do?

  •  Talk with someone you trust
  • Parents
  • Other family members
  • Friends
  • Staff in school